You probably have a lot of private information stored on your iPad. Therefore, it is crucial to remove it correctly and reset the tablet before handing it over to the new owner.
This article will share a few quick but essential things one must do before selling off a preowned iPad. For example, by selling an iCloud or passcode-locked device, you risk voiding the entire transaction. Therefore, it is important to take care of these things beforehand.
1. Backup Your Data
We suggest backing up all your files, including photos, videos, contacts, etc., first. To create a backup, use iCloud on your phone or your computer.
iCloud can automatically backup your iPad daily, weekly, or monthly whenever the device is connected to Wi-Fi. To back up your iPad automatically using an iCloud account, go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn On iCloud Backup.
Connect your iPad through the USB data cable if you are using a Windows PC. Then, launch iTunes and click the iPad icon in the top-left corner. Next, go to Summary > Back Up Now. If you wish to encrypt your backups, select “Encrypt Local Backup,” enter the password, then click on “Set Password.”
Note: You can also connect the iPad to your computer wirelessly if you have a Wi-Fi sync set up.
2. Sign Out of All Linked Accounts
Before selling your iPad, it’s important to sign out of all your accounts like iCloud, iTunes, and App Store.
- iTunes Store / App Store: From a Home screen, tap on App Store / iTunes and your Profile icon in the upper-right. Then, select your Apple ID and opt to Sign Out. You will be asked to provide your password before you can sign out.
- iMessage & FaceTime: Go to Settings > Messages and turn off the switch for iMessage. Then, go back to the main Settings screen and tap on FaceTime. Turn off the switch for FaceTime as well.
- Now, it is time to sign out of your iCloud account. For that, open your Settings app again, and tap on your name. Then, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Sign Out. Repeat it to confirm you want to sign out.
3. Turn Off Find My iPad
Dont forget to turn off Find iPad to enable full device access for the new owner. Find My iPad app allows activation lock on your iPad, so if you don’t turn it off and erase it, no one else can use it. And that means the iPad has no resale value as-is. So before selling your used tablet, go to Settings > your name > Find My iPad and turn it off.
4. Request an Unlock from the Carrier
If you want to get paid top value for your preowned LTE iPad, be sure to unlock it prior to resale. But it is important to remember that only fully paid off iPads can be network-unlocked. Furthermore, you cannot resell your tablet if it is still on the contract.
5. Wipe Your Information
After completing the steps above, you can go ahead and reset your Apple iPad. This action will wipe all the information saved on the tablet’s storage and restore it to the original out-of-box state.
To erase your iPad, please do the following:
- Visit Apple Support to download and install the latest iTunes on your computer.
- Open iTunes and connect your iPad to the computer with a USB cable. You will see the device icon on the upper-left corner that you will need to click.
- Select the Summary section in the sidebar and then click Restore iPad.
Where To Sell Your Preowned iPad Online?
The internet offers quite a few options for selling used iPads, both in-person and online. However, if you are looking for a quick turnaround, we suggest using a buyback service.
An online buyback makes the selling process much easier because you do not have to do anything you’d typically would if you listed your tablet on eBay, for example. And you do not have to wait around indefinitely, waiting for your gadget to sell.
When using an online resale site, you will be asked a few questions about your iPad’s cosmetic and functional condition, and the dollar estimate is usually instant. Once you send the iPad in, your payment gets issued pretty quickly, too, within one to two business days of receiving the package. Besides, buyback companies like Gadget Salvation offer several instant payout options, such as PayPal, Zelle, or Venmo. But you can also opt for a good old paper check, sent in the mail.
But Gadget Salvation is not only a platform to sell iPads. They also accept PC laptops, MacBooks, other tablet brands. Their service is quick and secure, and the business has gained great popularity with the sellers over the years. Just check what other customers are saying about Gadget Salvation on review platforms like Reseller Ratings and Trustpilot.
Naturally, you want to get the most value out of your preowned iPad. And that means you need to prepare it for sale. It is crucial to sign out of all linked accounts, turn off Find My iPad, and factory reset the tablet before you can sell it. And for those looking for a hassle-free option to sell their used Apple iPad online, we suggest picking a buyback site.