TFOT recently had a chance to interview Sharon Tzvielli, Marcom manager for Mantis Vision, and ask her a few questions about the company and its technology.
A: Mantis Vision Ltd. is the leading developer of user-friendly 3D scanning technologies and solutions, and the producer of the only handheld 3D scanning solutions specifically designed for field-use. Mantis Vision’s patented technology enables accurate 3D modeling of cluttered and complex scenes and hard-to-reach objects, in seconds to minutes.
Headquartered in Israel, Mantis Vision is active throughout the globe, serving a diverse clientele worldwide, in markets such as defense, law enforcement, Oil & gas, manufacturing, engineering and construction, cultural heritage and more.
A: Mantis Vision’s 3D scanning technology belongs to the Active Triangulation (AT) product family recognized for its high accuracy.
Our F5 3D Imaging solution comprises of two system components: the 3D acquisition unit (Imager) and our MVP software application that processes the data and creates the final 3D point cloud model.
- High accuracy levels of depth measurements.
- Ability to capture images in free motion – the camera, the object and the captured environment can be in motion.
- Dense sampling at high resolutions of hundreds of thousands of points per single frame.
- No dependency on color or texture and the ability to project at invisible wavelengths such as infrared.
- Operation under challenging lighting conditions.
- Ability to acquire challenging targets, such as shiny and largely contrasted surfaces.
- Law Enforcement – crime scene analysis and car accident documentation.
- Military – Explosive Ordinary Disposable and battle damage assessment.
- Maritime – piping areas, engine rooms, for planning and parts replacement.
- Automotive – Crash test analysis, manufacturing.
- Orthopedics – scanning human body parts, prosthetics.
- Oil & Gas – Offshore rigs, planning, repair and documentation of ship parts, engine rooms. etc.
- Industrial plants – machine documentation.
- Reverse Engineering – complex mechanical parts.
- Aviation – cockpit scanning, fuselage parts. etc.
- Archeology & Cultural heritage – collection documentation and interactive online galleries.
From one aspect the market has a crucial need for more professional solutions, and on the other there is major need for mass quantities of affordable 3D handheld scanners for professional applications such “as built” in the construction engineering, real time 3D portable device for architectures , accurate portable easy to use solutions for medical application that will be placed in the hands of the medical staff.
A video showing F5 scanner used for 3D modeling of car accident in near real-time
A video demonstrating the F5 scanner used for forensic work